If Only There Were More Ball Pits

posted on: 11.21.2013

There's been a lot of talk on blogs lately on making friends as adults. Have you noticed? Every time I see a title like that I bookmark it for later. Then usually, I never have time to come back and read it. One of the kids just opened the peanut butter. One of the kids is playing in the toilet. I've got errands to run, and work deadlines to meet. And so on, and so on. I don't even have time to read about how to make new friends, let alone go seek them out.
On the surface I think this is exactly why it's so hard to meet friends as adults, but I know there is so much more. I can make time for  the people that I want to. I have in the past. But the more I move around, and the older I get, the harder it's getting.

Then I saw this video on my friends facebook and thought, if only there were more ball pits. It's so up my alley.


People are taken out of their element. They aren't just co workers talking to co workers about their jobs, they aren't moms talking to other moms only about their kids. They're all very different, and they're getting right to it. I wonder if it would fly at the park if I whipped out some balls with various questions on them for the other moms/dads to answer? Makes me laugh just thinking of it. But then again I love the idea, and it seems like time really well spent. I'd love to leave the park feeling like I just made a great friend. How great if I already knew her bucket list, first kiss story, and a secret, instead of only her kids names and what series of iPhone she has. I'd be elated!
I vote for more ball pits.

Until then, one of the more practical articles I bookmarked (that I might or might not make time to read) is: Making Friends

What are your suggestions, or just plain old thoughts on making friends as adults? 

6 comments:

  1. I love it. Soul Pancake? I want to subscribe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! My sister and I have talked about this very subject a lot lately. I vote for more ball pits as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha. I've thought about this recently just from moving. I would go walking around the neighborhood and see young mothers in their yard with their kids, or two young moms talking and walking. I so badly, and often thought about just walking up to them and saying, "Do you want to be my friend?". I still might, it worked for me in preschool :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally. I think every day! Gosh, I wish it was that simple. Although we all wish it was that simple, so we should just make a general agreement that it's completely acceptable.

      Delete
  4. Love this! I've moved three times in five years. It's tough, especially as an older mom. I'm back living where I grew up in a large city but really have not been able to reconnect with old friends.
    My favorite quote is "you have to be a friend to have a friend" but sometimes that's tough too. I try to show interest in someone else instead of it all being about me, but I get burned from that sometimes too.

    Thanks for sharing your experience.

    Betsy





    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! I've moved three times in five years. It's tough, especially as an older mom. I'm back living where I grew up in a large city but really have not been able to reconnect with old friends.
    My favorite quote is "you have to be a friend to have a friend" but sometimes that's tough too. I try to show interest in someone else instead of it all being about me, but I get burned from that sometimes too.

    Thanks for sharing your experience.

    Betsy





    ReplyDelete

thanks for stopping by, please be kind.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

YOURS TRULY All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger