Isle by Isle: Trader Joes

posted on: 12.03.2012

I've only been shopping there for a year, but it's long enough to become addicted. It would be really hard to live somewhere where a Trader Joe's didn't exist now (on my stomach and my wallet:).

After seeing a lot of funny pictures on Instagram/facebook about the opening of the new (and first!) Trader Joes in Salt Lake I thought I'd put together a list of our family favorites, isle by isle, since so many of you reading are now shopping there.
I sure hope they've restocked the shelves since then!

Produce: 

 (I'm only listing speciality items, as I assume you don't need to know we buy bananas here)

*Not all items have pictures, so make sure to read the post, as to not miss out on them all!

- Shaved Brussel Sprouts (on the shelf by the bagged salads)
 the perfect lunch & light dinner. Great Salad recipe on back that I use weekly for my lunch.
 -Steamed Lentils (on the shelf by the bagged salads)
Delicious all on their own. We ALL love them & I feel great feeding them to my kids.

 -Shelled Edamame (on the shelf by the bagged salads)
They have frozen too, but I buy this also for quick snacks for myself, the twins and Tate's lunches
- Pear Gorgonzola Salad Dressing
- Pomegranate Seeds
-Mirepoix (on the shelf by the bagged salads)
Time Saver! Must have! How many soups do you have that call for starting with a chopped onion, chopped carrots, and chopped celery? It's annoying and makes a "quick soup" into a not so quick soup.
Keep one of these always on hand and dump it in for your soup starter. They've done all the work for you. One of my faves for sure!

-Guacamole + Pico mixed. My favorite combo. 
- Any of their hummus


Dairy


-Creamy Yogurt (comes in packs of 6)
Sometimes I think Tuck might not live if he didn't get one of these a day. Creamy is almost an understatement. Even if your kids don't like yogurt, try these!
-Creme Fraiche 
(a great place to buy this if you have a hard time finding it, and don't want to make it)

- Organic Milk (if you haven't made the switch yet because of cost, Tj is slightly less expensive)

Baked Goods/Jams/Dressing/Cracker Isle

-fruit leathers

-Sandwich crackers
 cheese and pb, but especially the cheese for some reason.

-Creamy Salted PB (there are a lot to choose from, but this is our favorite)
It's quite salty in flavor, but oh-so good with jelly!
-Fruit crushers
- Cinnamon + sugar grinder (makes that morning toast so easy!)

-Orange Muscat Champagne Vinegar 
(the dressing I use the most- great alone just drizzled over greens)
- Buttermilk Pancake Mix
- Pumpkin Pancake Mix (when in season)

-Brownie Truffle Baking Mix
 taste's pretty darn close to my favorite homemade cocoa brownies!

-Aioli Garlic Mustard. delicious!

Frozen Food Isle

- Orange Chicken (great over the brown rice)
- Brown Rice (this is a great time saver)
- Chicken Pot Stickers
- Arugula Pizza (although they are all very good)
- Mac and Cheese (I don't buy this myself but I have heard to no end of it's deliciousness!)

-Chimichurri Rice (I dream about this)


-Ham, Carmelized Onion & Gruyere Flat Bread- amazing.
- Whole grain frozen waffles

- Steel Cut Oats
 Comes vacuum sealed in personal portions, already slightly sweetened. My favorite breakfast!

-Frozen Herbs
For an endless variety of uses. My favorite (of course) is for this basil ice cream.
One or two scoops of vanilla ice cream, and one cube of frozen basil mashed up in there. Perfect!

Also on the frozen food isle are all the TJ's treats, the good stuff! I'm sure they're all good, but our favorites are these:

- Maple Leaf Cookies (we like these even more than joe joes)
- Joe Joes (duh)
- Sea Salt & Turbinado Sugar Dark Chocolate Almonds (my all time addiction)
- Peanut Butter Cups, of all varieties:)
- Peanut Butter filled pretzels
- frozen strawberry & peach pops (literally just frozen fruit into a popsicle form). A good healthy snack for kids.
- graham crackers- now I know it seems hard to beat the good old Honey Maid, but once you compare the texture of the two I think you'll convert. Honey Maid seem waxy to me now.

Meats & Cheese

-Chicken Hot dogs (free of Nitrates and Nitrites, great for the kids)
- Sausage (of all varieties)
-Blueberry Vanilla Chevre'
delicious!
-I also like their bacon that's already cooked for quick breakfast's in the morning or to toss in salads last minute


-Quattro Formaggio Cheese Blend
( Parmesan, Asiago, Fontina, & Provolone)
SO delicious for a quesadilla, gourmet grilled cheese (add some artichoke hearts and spinach too!). This blend is so good!

Beside the food, they also have great flowers I think. I find cool succulents there for great prices, and picked up a boxwood wreath for $9 this year to hang on my back door.
Hopefully this list helps you if you are a TJ virgin, and since I'm a fairly newcomer myself please leave all your Trader Joe favorites in the comments... Bridget, Cassi, Miranda that means you especially.

ps- look out for their holiday paper bags soon! Last year they printed out darling gift tags on the grocery bags for you to cut out at home to use. Since they were made out of craft paper I wrote on mine with chalk and they looked real cute guys, for free. I'm all about that.

Enjoy!


15 comments:

  1. I love you for this. So much I'm pinning it! ;) Sugar and cinnamon grinder?! Amazing- Now I must go back tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it Laci! The grinder is a semi new find for me and it's glorious! They have other grinders too- chocolate and coffee bean too, if you like that:)

      Delete
  2. I'm totally going to copy you and post my faves, too. Some overlap with yours, but some don't (and now I've got a list of new thing to fall in love with!) I seriously can't imagine living without a TJ's around. SLC is a better place for it:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do! I'd love to know your list as well!

      Delete
  3. Love the TJs sparkling strawberry lemonade. It's a girlie drink so it's great for baby showers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I love that one too! It's packaged so great also. (for a second I thought you said- it's a garlic drink:)

      Delete
  4. Well now I know what to go buy! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so helpful. Cassi finally got me on the TJ train a few months ago, but I've only been buying snacks, veggies, dairy, hummus and pre-packaged salads (for Porter's work). It's a bit intimidating with all the interesting items they have. I just made a grocery list off your post. Thanks. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cass got me excited about this place too, glad I could help!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. am i the bridget you're talking about?! i'm givin' you my two cents either way... especially since i JUST got back from tjs!

    we love their meatballs. and their four cheese tomato sauce. soooo good. and their vegetarian chili. and their lentil soup. pb & j, white bean hummus... oh man, i could go on. i better not.

    i picked up the brussel sprouts you mention here! yum. and the strawberry pops. and, oh, a million other things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a great list! i'll take one of everything!
    i love the blood orange soda, honey flavored greek yogurt, and toffee popcorn. the veggie sticks, strawberry yogurt joes o's, and cats cookies are great for babies/toddlers. i'm waiting to go to the one in slc until the ruckus dies down (although it may never...). i can hardly wait!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now just post your weekly menu, and I'll be the happiest woman alive. But really, thanks for taking the time to do this! It helped so much and is my new favorite grocery store!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, it is so helpful to hear people's favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such good items! I got soooo addicted to Trader joes while living in NYC. There was a TJ's on our block- I truly went there once a day! I miss it so much now. I could make a list a mile long- really, but a few of our favorites that you didn't mention: The Brussel sprouts on the stalk- so fresh and good, the white cheddar puffs are my weakness, waaay better than pirate booty, the flavored sparkling water is perfection, and the peppermint joe joe ice cream of course!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for stopping by, please be kind.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

YOURS TRULY All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger