Bucco Pads

posted on: 3.27.2012


Bucco Pads: the main muscle of the cheek.
 I learned that term my first week of therapy with Tuck. His therapist loves them, but also hates them. They're too big, too chubby she says. They get in the way of him being able to eat solids properly. Great for suckling (and sucking on!), not great for chewing. Of course, from her perspective, she's right. But from my perspective they're dreamy. Oh, so perfect. I could kiss and naw on those bucco pads all day long.
Already since Tuck started his therapy his bucco pads are going down. His liquid caloric intake has been cut in half, in order to help him become more mobile (we're working on his sitting right now) and also to peak his interest in solids. It's worked too well, because I'm feeling those bucco pads thin down when I smoosh my lips against them. It'll be a sad day when I can feel any sort of bone in there. I can't get enough.

Tuck's therapy, by the way, is going very well. It's slow, but we are seeing good progress. We've just been given permission to take a 6mo. break from Speech (feeding) therapy, and just continue to work with him on pureed foods. 
In physical therapy, we've been working very hard to get him sitting. He's very close, and will for a about 10 seconds until he topples over. Tuck has hypotonia, which makes it hard for him to reach the typical milestones, and is why he will need ongoing therapy, probably for several years. But he is such a patient, strong baby in therapy and tries really hard. He used to only last about 20 minutes before he'd tire out, and now he will work for the entire hour. He's rolling, and pushing up with his arms like a champ now too- something he struggled with before therapy.
I love Tuck so very much!

11 comments:

  1. Those Bucco pads are simply delicious. What a tough little boy, that Tuck. Sure love him and want to kiss his face right off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is a love! I am with Annie I want to just kiss him. Hope to see you and Annie and those cheeks this summer in SLC!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is so cute Chelsea! Glad he is doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh man. i'm thinking those bucco pads need to STAY.

    but, i get it, kid needs to eat.

    he's totally edible, chelsea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh that picture! i'm so in love with him. i can only imagine how you must feel as his mother. love that little tuckman so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Um, is he sorta your favorite? He might be mine. Not that I really have one, but he is adorable. I think it is pretty amazing that doctors are so on top of things and he's in therapy. Cheers to pushing up with his arms!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post gave me chills. There is nothing like the love of a mother for her child. That picture better be up somewhere in your house.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet Tuck!! I'll die if those cheeks go away!! He is the sweetest. I'll never forget when we were watching the bachelor at your house, and Tuck got up to watch it with us. His smile...to die for. Tell him to keep those cheeks for a bit longer until I see him again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Why do the bucco pads have to have hate attached to them... those babies seem sent straight from heaven! :) He is simply amazing... for so many reasons. Please come home soon! I hate feeling like I'm missing your boys grow up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't know this about your Tuck. But his cheeks are dreamy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I would just want to kiss his face off if he was my little boy! He's so stinkin beautiful! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

thanks for stopping by, please be kind.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

YOURS TRULY All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger