Basil Ice cream at home

posted on: 3.19.2012

Every time I visit Utah I make sure to eat, at least once, at Sea Salt. 
It's a newish restaurant in a wonderful neighborhood that I love. What I love most, and what I've converted many friends to, is their basil ice cream. It's just sweet enough to satisfy that after dinner sweet tooth, but so refreshing and light. One taste and you'll be hooked.

I've never seen it at my grocery store, so a couple nights ago when a strong craving came on, I made my own. 
It couldn't be more easy. Here's what you'll need:


-Vanilla Ice Cream
-Fresh Basil * Trader Joes (and Harmons if you live in Utah) sells this Dorot brand, which comes minced, cubed & frozen. Perfect! 
-bowls
-wooden spoons * you knew that wooden spoons make ice cream taste better, right? okay good. 

place one cube of basil in bowl  (1 cube = 1tsp.)
*if you can't get the frozen Dorot cubes, I would recommend using fresh basil and a good food processor so that you don't have large pieces or strings of basil in the ice cream. You could even make your own basil freezer cubes!


break up basil with spoon

add about 1 cup of vanilla ice cream

mix well

Don't be afraid to try this because it has basil in it!
 It's soooo delicious. All my kids, even the twins, loved this. I'll be curious to see if you do too.

10 comments:

  1. yes! this is the best idea- sounds like a perfect kind of combination. but hello-- that cutting board?!

    can we talk about Utah recommendations so I don't feel so lacking here? I want to love it and these kind of places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a real skeptic about this at first. The whole idea of basil ice cream just didn't entice me. It sounded too earthy or too uppity or something, but regardless I have been converted. This stuff is awesome. That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I discovered your blog through "Stephmodo" and LOVE IT! Your family is truly beautiful and it really looks like a happy one! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had pistachio icecream but have never seen basil icecream. This sounds amazing - might have to try this for the next dinner party! Thanks for posting! xx

    Anna (My Design Ethos)

    ReplyDelete
  5. yum. i'm making this this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. JUST discovered the frozen/chopped garlic and basil at Trader Joes.... have no idea why it took me so long. I'm trying this tonight!!!

    Your pictures look like a food photography blog! Beautiful compositions! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think i want to try this...but it kind of freaks me out! I'm partly disgusted, but partly intrigued! haha. I do love basil though...thanks for inspiring me to get out of my comfort zone ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I NEVER would have thought of this! I'm excited to give it a whirl!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for stopping by, please be kind.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

YOURS TRULY All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger