Reading is Fundamental!

posted on: 2.11.2011

Is it odd that I just spent two, of the three hours, of my morning free time reading children's books at the local Barnes & Noble?

I really couldn't help myself. I went with a purpose. To get Tate a book or two for Valentine's Day. Her gift each year. Then I couldn't decide. I pulled out my kids book wish list (is that weird that I carry one around?) and read the more than 50 titles that had accumulated on the list.
So, I scoured the shelves, found about 20 of the 50 titles and started reading... and reading... and reading.
For two hours.

To be honest, I could have stayed for at least another hour. I had a glorious time. I really love children's books. The beautiful, or whimsical, or simple pictures, the funny, or witty, or sweet stories- it all sucks me in. Of course, I added a few new ones to my "wish list", and walked away with just two. Self control at it's finest, as I wanted to buy twenty.
Here are the two I just couldn't part with this time.

This 2011 Caldecott Medal Winner, caught my eye by the cover. It was not on my list, but the cover is just so beautiful. It's okay to judge a book by it's cover when they are this neat. In fact, the images inside are even better, as is the sweet story. It's easily one of my favorite books I've ever bought for Tate, and I can't wait for her to open it, so I can read it!


I love the Frances books, and Tate doesn't have any yet. I hadn't read this one yet, but thought it was darling! It's got some pretty funny lines, and it'll be a good one for Tate since it's all about making new friends and accepting boys & girls the same (she's having a hard time accepting that girls are cool too). I love all the images, how old school they are, and the story has a great message.

Other wonderful reads that had me smiling this morning:
(and made my wish list)

 These three by Mo Willems: (his are already a favorite in our home)
 Can I play too?
There is a Bird on your Head!
Are you ready to Play Outside?

Where's Walrus. A cool hide & seek type, pictures only book.

Sylvester and the Magic Pebble. I had a hard time passing this one by this time.


Library Lion. Wonderful pictures, and sweet story.

A Porcupine named Fluffy. This was my little sister's favorite book growing up and I realized I'd never even read it. It's quite funny actually, I can see why you liked it Boo:)

Sweet, maybe a little too sweet, but still, it's a must to have in any collection. Maybe more for me than for Tate.

I completely see the value in buying books, I think they're more than worth the money. But they still can get pretty expensive, and I'd like to buy Tate more than just a few each holiday. 
How do you guys go about buying books for your kids? Do they get one a month? Earn them?
I'd love suggestions!

ps- I used to want to be a children's author, but now I think one of my dream jobs would be a children's book reviewer. Is that a job? If so, I want it.

8 comments:

  1. chelsea, you must think i'm a blog stalker, but i just love all of your posts and really relate to you. i love children's books too and used to want to write them as well. i may still like to do that but haven't found the time yet. i love so many of the books you wrote and know them from teaching first grade for 8 years. i especially adore the mo willems books, they were so fun to read to a class of laughing children. ezra doesn't quite get them yet. i fortunately have 6 boxes full of my first grade library in storage waiting for us. as far as how i give ezra books on a regular basis, we buy them for birthday, holiday presents and i often ask family members for them. i also just buy them regularly. but, i also am an avid library goer too and even used our library here on the island. i hope you enjoyed your bookstore experience. was it in the ghetto or did you drive elsewhere? lol. i'm sorry.. i hope things look up for you real soon in michigan. it's nice to have you back in blogland regularly! p.s. thank you for introducing me to olive juice! unfortunately they had nothing for ezra in his size in the outlet sale, but i've bookmarked the site for future shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do books for valentines day, too! My mom always did for us, and it stuck! This year I'm actually just replacing one of mister Milo's favorites, Tails, that he has read to death...as in some of the animals no longer have tails!!

    Most of Milo's books came from friends at a "Bedtime Stories" shower that some friends hosted for me. I got all stages of books and haven't needed to buy a single one in almost two years (though I might have seen a couple that I couldn't live without, and got:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am right with you, that was one of the best parts of being a teacher. As far as how not to spend money on them... I'll let you know when I've figured that out ha ha. Good thing Shane's got grandparents that love books too. I do get a lot of books off of Amazon though, and Sam Club's actually has a lot of good ones for not too much either. love tomboy Tate, we are probably going to get a pass to the museum next week, so we will be probably see you in that section!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in the process of writing and submitting children's book to publishers! This post really caught my eye because I wrote my own post recently about my favorite kids books and "A Sick Day for Amos McGee" was also on my list!
    There's a great book for how to submit manuscripts to publishers. It walks you through each individual company and what they require for submission.
    Let me know if you'd like to try it!
    Love the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank You Thank You Thank You!! I have been searching for children books lately. Your post has really helped me as to which ones to look for.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a friend of a friend of a friend and I've been stalking your blog for a while now...:) But, I just have to say, I LOVE children's books too!! My hubby and I love to go to Barnes and Noble for date night sometimes, and I spend the whole time in the kids section :) I just can't get enough. Can't wait to have my own kids to buy them for!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love children's books. I can't wait to read the titles you posted. Always looking for good suggestions. Sounds like a fun way to spend your morning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this idea...just may have to use it next year! Thanks my dear.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for stopping by, please be kind.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

YOURS TRULY All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger