a thought for the weekend

posted on: 3.13.2010

Yesterday I read a post on Decor 8 that struck me.
It's about being a DIY-er, what exactly that means, and how to go about it respectfully. I liked it!
 DIY projects are no doubt becoming all the rage. And while,  a lot of times, I think that's great...
I'm also seeing more and more the lines of common courtesy and respect being crossed.
It talks about DIY as once standing for Do It Yourself, not Duplicate It Yourself -which is something that is becoming ever so popular. Everyone's an artist, photographer, crafter, writer these days, and so it's very easy to cross the lines, and therefore not honor the original artist's work.
I'm sure every original artist, writer, photographer, and crafter can relate to this.

Sure, I would look up a tutorial on how to sew my own drapes, or make a table runner. I think that is completely appropriate, as it's not duplicating anyone's work. Sure I'm looking for ways to take better pictures, but I still know I can't create something a true photographer can. I actually love supporting local artists and small business's, even if I think I could make what they have.

A reader of Decor 8 said this and I think it's a great rule of thumb to follow...

"My motto about DIY is this: KITY. Translation: Do it Yourself – KEEP IT TO YOURSELF. Do not post it on your blog or share it with the world online. It can be a very unpleasant experience for the original artist or designer to see their work copied and posted on blogs. Especially when it is a tutotrial on how to copy the design. It is so disheartening and frustrating for those that are generating fresh and original work. I say support the person who created the work you admire by actually purchasing the work or hiring the designer. Otherwise we won’t be able to sustain our small creative businesses."


Well put, don't you think?
Now, I'm not saying that every idea that comes out of an artist's brain is completely their own either- that would be ridiculous. Everyone is inspired by things they see. The key is to use the inspiration to your advantage and find a way to make it your own. I've learned this the hard way. But usually the end result will be something you're more pleased with anyway.

With that said, here's a peek at my new tatertots that will be available later this month! I've made some "tweeking" to the original rosettes I previously posted and I think the end result is much better!

Have a lovely weekend, I'm off to the pool:)






7 comments:

  1. Chelsea, I totally agree with you on this! It is so Utah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i couldn't agree more. i think you are so creative and original and i wish people wouldn't steal your ideas. i know you have too much to tact to just come out and say that....but i don't. and it makes me crazy for you! way to be so talented in everything you do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I need to beat someone up for you... I will. ;)

    I'm just so glad I have cute friends like YOU to make all these things for me so my kids don't get laughed from something I'd try to create. ha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, Love, Love them!!! You are super talented and original. "Imitation is the highest form of flattery"....Anne of Green Gables. It is so true, but also so annoying. Just have confidence that when something is copied or duplicated, it never looks as good or is done as well as the original. Trust me. It is hard because I have totally thought up a few things on my very own thinking things were so "original" and two weeks later find the same thing at a store or boutique (or on another friends blog). You never can win...that is life and the etsy/ boutique world I am afraid. People are sometimes one step ahead of you, or thinking the same thing at the same time. Or there are the ones 3 steps behind copying. Bleh!!! Ha Ha now I am just venting!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok just to make that comment clear...I was not saying people are one step ahead of you....because you are always a million steps ahead of everyone. I was just venting how I feel about how my little crafty imagination works. Love ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very, very well put and I couldn't agree with you more! I loved the article- This hits close to home for me as well and I truly understand where you're coming from.

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS...Jason was me Sammy!! Ha Ha

    ReplyDelete

thanks for stopping by, please be kind.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

YOURS TRULY All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger