In this moment

posted on: 3.08.2010

There is something I'm practicing right now, as it hit me here that it's something I need to focus on.
Living in the moment. 
Such an overwhelming thought, right?
Ironically as I was deep in thought about this a couple weeks back I saw a blog post by my best friend Cassi, featured on the beautiful blog Delightful.  It was as if she took the words right from my mouth (wouldn't be the first time she's done that).
Her words touched me and I have to share them.

(photo of Cassi's son Beckham that accompanied the post, taken by SassaArt- her:)

"Right now my world is full of unknown certainty: Certainty of a new life, a move to a new state, and a new job for my husband. Yet the unknown is what tomorrow has in store for me. I catch myself longing for the finish line and living in my future plans and dreams, a series of  “when we… then I’ll”. I forget to live and enjoy the moment and to enjoy the journey that will someday take me there.  I’m reminded of this, each day, as I watch my son grow before my eyes. Days, weeks, months… where does the time go? Although my life is somewhat of a blur, my focus is where it should be: on the eyes of my son and family."

Maybe it's that me and Cassi are in similar stages, we both have young children, both have husbands in school, both are moving around a lot, that we have this on our minds. What ever it is, I'm so thankful for Cassi's sweet and true words about where your focus should be, and to enjoy the journey.
I often complain about my situation here on this island. Yes, it may not be my ideal living situation, yes I'd rather be living in America, but I have to realize that this island is Tate's childhood. Every hike we take, beach we swim at, dock she jumps off, time we go to the pool, transport we ride in, are precious memories to Tate. They should be precious to me also, as here on Dominica, I'm watching her grow up right before me. By the time we leave this place Tate will be 4. I will have lived her two's and three's, some of the funniest and best years of her life, here. So, I'm not going to wish this phase of my life away. How can I? I'm not going to count down the days until we're finished. I'm going to live in the moment, not worrying about what I'll make for dinner tomorrow, or what we can do to pass time next week. I'm going to take Tate to the pool, beach, river, where ever she wants and live in that precious moment with her. I'll marvel at her courage as she jumps off the side of the dock, or swims underwater, and not think about anything else but how much fun this moment is with her. As I know these moments will pass quickly, and I'll never ever get them back.

16 comments:

  1. Thanks to you and Cassi for the exact words I needed today. Your perspective really struck a chord with me and made me think about how rarely I LIVE in the moment rather than just let moments pass by. Ideal or not, our current life situations are just that - OURS and we need to love them . . . they're all we've got (this is me giving myself a pep talk). I had a really grumpy week last week and really think this is exactly what I needed to start this new week off right.

    Love you for sharing.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something many of us moms may relate to. At least I do. Well said!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AHHH! So many people are posting how I am feeling lately. I love it. It is comforting knowing you are not alone. I am in this funk right now of "when I have my own house", and so much more. I think we are all like that in a way. Time does go by so quickly and I need to enjoy all that is happening "now" in my life. Thanks for the sweet reminder. Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  4. So well put Chels. I have been thinking the same thing as well. Lucca and I were on a walk the other day and I was trying to hurry him along and then I stopped myself and realized that the spring flowers were a new discovery to him. Sometimes it's hard to remember that this is a new world and every day is a discovery for them. How nice would it be to just relish in the newness and beauty of things instead of focusing on getting from point A to point B. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it that you're looking through the eyes of Tate. I mean what a COOL childhood, she was already such a firecracker, but even more so after the "island experience." There's something about knowing your children are out enjoying life in the moment like you said and living it to the fullest that rings true in this post. Tate is certainly enjoying her childhood to the fullest on that island and she's so lucky to have such an awesome mother by her side!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would trade you in a heartbeat, you really are living the dream Chels. Tate is beyond beautiful and her humor/bright mind/good nature are no coincidence - it's because her momma is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. such a beautifully worded post. i think part of human natures is to think "if only, or when this happens". thank you for sharing! i needed to hear this. i LOVE the post about your favorite 10 things...because we're oh so similar. i think my list would almost be the exact same. and your sweet little contortionist. i'm impressed!! she fits well into the family :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a beautful post Chels! You are a wise and wonderful mom!

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for the inspiration. once again, perfectly written. i can be a texan, i can be a texan, i can be a texan... i'm going to go in to tomorrow (i need one more day to complain) with a new vigor!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We've been out of town for the past couple of days so this is the first time I'm seeing this post! I'm all teared up!! Well said! Yes, do enjoy those precious, precious moments with your sweet Tate. It's easy to write the words we both FEEL but what's not so easy is REMEMBERING them in the moment when they're needed! It's so easy to get caught up in life and forget! So here's to TRYING every day to enjoy each passing second because life moves too quickly! Lets keep reminding each other!

    Love ya. xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. The deleted comment was me. I spelled "they're" wrong and Jordan made me change it! ;) Of course. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes! It's so easy to believe that you can only be happy when things are ideal, but I love the challenge to create that for ourselves regardless. And our kids are the perfect example- sometimes going to Costco is as good as Disneyland. (Sometimes...)

    Your Tate is lucky for this life. And I envy yours too!

    (Lucca is a really great name.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. so true! Thanks for this, summed up my thoughts too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Cass and Chels for putting life into perspective. I am fully guilty of not living in the moment and wishing for tommorrow. Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm glad I read this post. I think we all need a little reminder every once in awhile to slow down and enjoy life. Life is what is happening right now. As you know my hubby is in medical school and I had to remind myself over and over to enjoy the moment. I hear you about always looking towards the next step. I think it is a little bit of a survival technique. Vince graduates in two months and I am oddly sad that we are already done. It looks like you are doing a good job of finding lots of fun things to do while away.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for stopping by, please be kind.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

YOURS TRULY All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger