It's tradition

posted on: 12.23.2008

I recently read on Design Mom her thoughts about Christmas traditions and it got me thinking about my own. I could relate to her a lot about the fact that she has mainly just adapted the traditions she grew up with rather than starting her own with her family.
While, I must add I love all the traditions both Wyatt's and my family have, and I do want to keep some of them for myself, I'd also like to start some of my own.
Some of the things we do with my family that I will never give up are:
-a mean game of Charades with all the cousins on Christmas Eve
- my dad reading The Polar Express right before bed on Christmas Eve
-having sausage and egg casserole with sweetrolls for breakfast on Christmas morning
Some new ones I've thought of for our family are:
- having a small Christmas Box for each me, Wyatt and Tate. On Christmas Eve we'll each write a small Christmas note to each person and stick it in their box. On Christmas morning, after the hussle and bussle of the present opening we'lll read our letters to ourselves. I think this would be great over the years to have old letters to look back on. I always want my kids and husband to have love letters from me, it would be nice to have a little box to keep them all in.
- Sledding on Christmas Eve day, followed by hot cocoa
- singing our favorite Christmas hymns while Wyatt plays the piano before bedtime on Christmas Eve
- doing one family Christmas service day. This could be the weekend before Christmas, maybe we'd go to Christmas Box house, or to the Homeless Shelter. Or decorate and take a tree to a family who we knew didn't have one. As Tate grows older I want her to have a strong sense of what Christmas is really about. I think it's really important to involove your kids in service from a young age, so it just becomes a part of their life. I'm starting this tradition next year!
what are some of your favorite and most unique Christmas Traditions?

3 comments:

  1. In Nate's family, his dad was in charge of cooking a big Christmas breakfast for everyone. I told him we were FOR SURE keeping that one. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm addicted to your blog. I can admit it, it's okay. One of my favorite traditions has to do with my crazy obsession with nice bed sheets. I bust out my 1000 count sheets (they were a gift) on the 23rd (today baby!) I save these babies for this one time because they are such a pain to iron and they are stark white - not really a great combination for everyday wear and a two year old who loves to drink hot chocolate every night with mommy while we watch the "Good Night Show " together. It's nice to sleep on a cloud once a year though :) Hey, and thanks for the nice comment about my dad; I was so happy to hear from someone who knew our family well during that part of life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to see all your fun family traditions...I love the christmas box! We started a couple which I'm sure aren't too original but I'm pretty excited for them. The Christmas eve pajamas, a Christmas book and a new family game are a few of our new traditions now that we have a little one!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for stopping by, please be kind.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

YOURS TRULY All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger