Memorial Day from Hell

posted on: 5.27.2008

(warning- boring post of me venting. read if you are very bored) So, let me just start by saying I have so much more sympathy for moms with colicy (?) kids! Tate has been sick the past week! It started, very ironically, after she had her FIRST day in nursery last Sunday. She started getting a cold on Tuesday and I thought it was just that- a cold. I really didn't pay much attention to it (she gets colds all the time), so it was no biggy. Anyway, it just got worse and worse and by the weekend she was unconsolable. Crying all day, really. Having cough attacks, wheezing. Not eating or drinking anything, not sleeping either. It was miserable. By Sunday it was obvious something else was wrong. She was not her usual "sick" self. She woke up about 10 times on Sunday night, just crying non stop. Monday morning I realized she hadn't had a wet diaper for about 24 hours, and she didn't really have tears when she cried. Uh-oh. We called the Dr. and of course they were closed so we left a message... and waited. Well, Wyatt waited. I went to lunch with my mom and sister ( I REALLY needed to get out of the house). Wyatt called at lunch and said the doctor had called back and told us to take her to Primary's. Great. So, I met Wyatt up there around 4:30 and we didn't leave until 9pm. She was really dehydrated and had an ear infection that was pretty bad. It always scares me when she gets ear infections because she is allergic to Penicilin and that's usually what they prescribe. Anyway, she had to get an IV too! It was so sad. I practically had to hold her down while they tried to find her tiny veins. She was so sad and just kept looking up at me like "help me". She had to have the IV for about an hour, and she cried the WHOLE time. Every few minutes or so she would hold her clubbed hand up to me to show me her owie. It was awful not being able to help her. After being there about 4 hours she was done, all better, and ready to go home. We went up stairs to get her prescription filled, waited about 1/2 hour, and then the pharmacist tells us our insurance card isn't going through... of course! So, after waiting we had to drive to Walgreens to get it filled. And even though there was NO ONE in line, they told us it would be 1/2 hour. What? Why do they do that? It drives me nuts! Why does it take 1/2 hour to put some liquid in a jar? I'll never get it. When we got home, Tate was surprisingly happy for being at the hospital, having an IV, and not eating or sleeping all day. She was playing around with Wyatt, and finally ate something- she finished off a box of cheese crackers. She is much better today. She's eating, sleeping like a champ, and is pretty happy. But I still feel like I need a vacation from this week. Being a parent is hard. Also I feel bad because we had to miss Rolfe's birthday! I'm sorry Rolfie- we love you!! Overall, I'm glad it's a new week. I'm glad to have my happy Tate back! (sorry, I don't have any pictures- I told you it was boring)

13 comments:

  1. Poor little girl! That is so sad! I am glad that she is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry you had to go through that. That would take so much out of you as a mom. I am glad she is doing better. Let's get the girls together next week! What day works?

    ReplyDelete
  3. and that is why i believe that moms really truly are so wonderful. and we should already have a phd for the things we do. so yeah for getting through hell. you are one awesome person. it sucks when they are sick . . . it really does!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my poor tater......and poor you and wy. i can't imagine how burnt out you must be. i'm glad she is feeling better. that story just broke my heart. man, being a mom is going to be so challenging. ty said that after playing with the meekers all day on monday. isn't it great when guys gain that perspective! i'm really sorry, but i'm glad you all survived it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ps. you guys were missed at dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Having sick kids is the WORST! It is so sad, and frusterating at the same time. Stella had her tonsils out last Wednesday and life has been hell for all of us ever since. She is up at least 4 times in the night and criesm for at least an hour, and then she wakes up Weston, so then he is up screaming and between the two of them Cory and I are up about 7 to 10 times per night. Last night I went jogging and then sat outside the house and waited for Stella's light to go out in her room because that meant she was asleep and I got a much needed break. Being a mom is tough...

    ReplyDelete
  7. WoW...that is rough! I'm so sorry, times like that make you wish you'd get paid for our jobs as parents & especially as MOM's! Ok and if you ever need me to go into Walgreen's & get you that RX a-sap...you just call me up! I just had to come say too that I so missed you @ play group...I just knew you were gonna be there, dang it! We talked about a girls night next week & even a little va-ca next year so I will have to e-mail you b/c it will be so, so fun!! Here's to a happier week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i am so sorry...that is the worst having sick kids. we have had to primary's a few times and as good a doctors as they are it is still so hard watching your kids go through that. we missed you at playgroup but hopefully next time! get well soon tate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is nothing worse than a sick child! So sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  10. been there 2 times with ky and its so sad and scary!! primarys is great though and glad shes getting better

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh no!!! I'm so sorry! I didn't know this was so bad! I'm gald she's feeling better! I left you a message last night, I wish I had known tate was so sick! Can't wait for motherhood... I'm glad you went first!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Saddest story. I hope little Tater is doing better. That's so scary and it's so awful to watch your little one in pain and not be able to help. Hope you've recovered too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You do need a vacation! And it sounds like you're up next for Thailand. The tiger was real-but safe enough for Tate...she'd probably love it as much as I did! We need to do lunch before my big move. How's next week looking for you?

    ReplyDelete

thanks for stopping by, please be kind.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

YOURS TRULY All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger