posted on: 1.22.2008

Happy Birthday Tate Scarlet!
Looking back...
from 3 pounds to 20 pounds in 1 year!
On this day last year, Tate and I were in the hospital... not doing very well! Tate came at 3 lbs 15 oz. and I had a surprising emergency c-section that was pretty traumatic to say the least.
I had been on bed rest for about a month, and was having NST tests twice a week to make sure Tate was still growing... she was, but just very very slowly. On January 19th at one of my appointments our Dr. made the decision to induce me the next morning. Turns out Tate hadn't shown any progress lately and so they wanted to take her out ( a month early). I was so scared, but also thrilled to meet her, and not be on bed rest anymore.
January 20th Wyatt and I arrived at the hospital prepared (so we thought) to welcome Tate Scarlet into the world. Getting there at 9am, the Dr. told us it probably wouldn't be until later that evening until she would be here. I was so calm... I had my family there and we were all casually talking and planning Heather's wedding... just waiting. I was completely efaced, but only dialated to about a 2, so the Dr. broke my water and gave me some potocin to speed things up a bit. They wanted to be safe and let her come as naturally as possible, but they also needed to get her out that day. After that I progressed REALLY quickly... in just about and hour I was already dialated to a 9! My Dr. was just about to go home and wait for the nurses page that I was ready- I'm so glad he didn't! When he came in to check on me he told the nurses to prepare the room for delivery! What?!?! I still thought I had about 6 hours or so! Now, I really didn't feel ready... but I didn't really have a choice. He got me all "ready" and told me to start pushing. With Wyatt holding my hand I pushed only twice and then I knew something was wrong- there was blood everywhere? Too much to be normal I thought, and I was right. I heard my Dr. quickly tell the nurses to make sure there was an OR ready and then it was pure frantic-ness from there! They told me Tate's heart rate was dropping too fast and I was losing too much blood. My Placenta had completey abrupted. Random nurses and staff were pulling all the cords off me, disconnecting everything and before I could even think I was being rushed ( I mean running) down the hall to the OR. I was so scared and in a panic that I started throwing up all over myself while they were running with my bed down the hall! I couldn't even talk or think, I was really just trying to block it all out and think about something happy. Luckily, there was an OR already set up for another ladies scheduled c-section, so I took her room. Later I realized how crucial this was... being told by my Dr. that an OR room takes about 10 minutes to setup and that neither me or Tate would have made it that long! Once in the room I closed my eyes and tried to not listen. All I could hear were people running around frantically trying to get me prepped for an emergency c- section. Just as my Dr. was about to cut into me, he pinched me to make sure the epiderall had kicked in... it hadn't! I could feel everything. He yelled for an anesthesiologist, and LUCKILY, there was one passing by who rushed in and put me completely under. Sadly, Wyatt was the only one who saw her birth. I woke up in the recovery room much sooner than they thought I would and the first thing I saw was Wyatt and my mom. I broke into tears and asked them if she was alive, Wyatt said yes and showed me a picture of her! Those were the best words I've heard, and I'll never forget the picture he showed me. She was SO beautiful, even more beautiful than I had imagined she could be. I remember being shocked that she was only 3lbs. 15 oz, but so so happy that she was alive and unusually healthy for her size. I still get incredibly sad when I think that I couldn't be with her right away- it wasn't until 13 hours later that I could go down into the NICU and see her. And not until the next morning that I could hold her. Turns out that her umbilical cord was the size of those red coffee straws, so she just wasn't getting any food while she was in my stomach.
Here she is at just a few days old getting her light treatment. The nurses were so cute to her and made her these stylish "lashes" to wear to protect her eyes!

Here I am so happy leaving the NICU with her!! 2 weeks later, with Tate weighing 4 lbs. we finally got to bring her home! I was so excited to feel like she was really ours!

Some of my favorite pictures....

she was still so tiny- the binkie looked huge in comparison, and that teddy bear just about fits in her hand now!
We love you Tate!!

25 comments:

  1. I remember hearing Tate's birth story from Pat - it sounds so traumatic. I'm glad you were all healthy and she got her safely. I too would be so sad to not see my new baby right away.....that must have been so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chels,
    I'm so glad you posted her birth story I knew she was tiny and early but beyond that I didn't know the details. It was so touching! Thank heavens for medical technology and all they can do for precious babies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How touching Chels!! Happy Birthday Tater Tot -- we're sure happy to have you in our family!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chels really I hope that your second one is just a breeze. That was so crazy to read. I remember hearing things were not the easiest, but reading that from your words . . . the NICU is one amazing place isn't it! Were you at LDS NICU? And did you have Denise?
    Anyway . . . Happy Birthday Tate! Yeah 20 lbs! Now she can face forward in her carseat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday, Tate! I cried when I read the whole labor and delivery story, that must have been so hard. I am so happy that you and Tate are alive and healthy. Tate is beautiful and we need to get her and Max together to play sometime when we are in Utah next.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm sure in love with that little girl of yours!! she truly is the perfect addition to our family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a story- how scary. glad she is a happy and healthy 1 year old now!!! thanks for sharing your story-

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just stumbled upon your blog, and it is so adorable...We are in your ward, but we don't know you very well (and you probably don't know me). My husband and I sat next to you in Sacrament last week and I teach the Sunbeams. What an amazing story about your darling Tate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. London was giggling as i read this post. She just kept looking at Tate's picture. I guess she remembers sharing her cafe rio with Tate. Yeah, we love you Tate and are glad you are here and happy birthday. We love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seriously Chelsea, she is so beautiful!! It makes you so grateful to live in the times of today, reading stories like yours! Looks like Birthday time was fabulous...how fun! Happy Birthday Tate!
    p.s. la la love your outfit leaving the hospital, you look so pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh and i totally started to cry when i read that story.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had forgotten all those yucky details of Tate's scary birth and am so glad that you're a year removed from it! Thank heavens for modern technology and sweet baby Tate. We love you both!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a traumatic experience! She is so beautiful, what a sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an amazing story, so touching... and so much to be thankful for and to remember! Thanks for sharing! I'm so glad Tate had a great birthday. Give her a huge kiss and hug from Aunt Cassi and Uncle Jo :) we love you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Chelsea! Im so glad you found me! I cannot believe the ordeal you when through to have your daughter! Im so glad that everything turned out great. She is beautiful, just like her mom! Lets keep in touch! Ill add you to my friends list! Thanks for the comment, your so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow Chelsea---I never knew the details of Tate's birth. What a miracle she is! And soooo beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It was so good to see you today! I hate that we never get to work together! I can't believe Tate is 1! She is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  18. MIRACULOUS... is the only word that comes to mind. Thank heaven that you are both here today. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TATE!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow Chels, What a story and what a beautiful miracle Tate is. Happy Birthday Tate Scarlet! What a sweet birthday tribute, and great photos too. LOVED IT chels!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I started to bawl when I got to the end of your story!!! What a blessing she is!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. chels, alyssa told me about your birth story. i am so glad ms. tate and you are both healthy and happy. she is the most darling thing ever. your collection of pictures made me giggle outloud with delight because she is literally so adorable. I loved the birthday hat you got her - I hope you saw the response I made for you on my blog. Anyway Happy Birthday to a darling girl!

    ReplyDelete
  22. She is beautiful! I loved reading about when she was born!

    -Laura (Stoker) Chandler

    ReplyDelete
  23. Umm just here crying looking pretty silly but just wanted to thank you for sharing your story. Your amazing and strong and she is beautiful! Life is a miracle. Happy Birthday Tate!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello there Chelsea...its Jenny from anthro. I found you on Melissa Olsens blog...yeah!!! What a cute little family you have. How are you, what are you doing? My blog is powellparade.blogspot.com --please keep in touch

    ReplyDelete
  25. By the way, thank you for sharing that very scary and wonderful story!! How hard that must have been...but a wonderful blessing at the same time. Wow!!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for stopping by, please be kind.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

YOURS TRULY All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger